The Harbor Island Garden Club was organized in 1952 for women who lived on Harbor Island, which was not a part of Wrightsville Beach at the time. Later, in the sixties, when Wrightsville Beach annexed Harbor Island, the club opened up its membership to include women living on the beach.
The present membership is forty-two (42) active members, seventeen (17) honorary members and eight (8) inactive members are predominately beach residents, or members who lived here when they joined the club but later moved inland.
The Harbor Island Garden Club has a reputation for being an outstanding club, winning many awards over the years. Actively involved in community beautification, the club has worked closely with various city programs for environmental improvements.